The Feast Days calendar is completely updated now, and all saints' mentions should be up to date as well. All advertisers have pages now, with their taglines and mentions listed. *whew*
Next I'm going to go back to the beginning (again) to work on:
Transcription: Making sure the scripts match the recording
Timeline: Checking that moments in history are on the timeline(s)
Misc: Checking that characters/places/events/etc have pages, up to date mentions/references
It'll be much slower than the Feast Days/advertisers was, but I expect most of the earlier suff (pre-2016) won't need a lot of work, maybe just some updated mentions.Read more >
I went through and fixed all the categories, including categorizing them and merging duplicates.
- In The Garden
- Saints' Feast Days
Further Exploration (*starred don't categorize in Futher Exploration)
- *The City
- *The City
- (X)th century
- (P) Links
- Hidden Almanac Cast
- Out of Character (for anything that pertains to the real world)
- References to Ursula Vernon's Art
- Fathers Saga
- Station Sale
- The Crows
- Saint Drom
Feb 3rd*Fixed http://thehiddenalmanac.wikia.com/wiki/Category:2017_episodes so it shows up in the Episodes category. In process fixed 2016 Episodes, because it had an improper plural. Fixed other years.
- Checking the first episode for completeness
- Added the 'to be transcribed' template to all the relevant episodes.
- Links on Episode_for_2013-09-13 to possibly be deleted: angels. I think keep zucchini , because it's a recurring joke, isn't it?
- Opened brainstorming for how to handle In the Garden in the forum (Forum:In_the_Garden)
- Fixed a few things on Red Wombat Tea Company. Fixed the links, but one is missing.
- Working on the In the garden overhaul. Because it's so large, I'm going to work on it offline.
- Finished the first two episode…
Going to start listing things here as they occur to me. We might want to make this a page by itself, to assist people who want to help but aren't sure where to start or how things work.
- Linking names: Include as much of the person's name, including title, as possible. It helps separate characters with similar names. For instance: Saint Sebastian, Saint Sebastian of Drog, Saint Sebastian the Witness, & Saint Sebastian, who spoke with foxes. If they have a title (Saint, sir/lady, the Philosopher, the Strong, etc) or a land (of Gaffing, of Matrone, etc), err on the side of too much information instead of too little.
- Linking names, cont: If the wiki is telling you no page exists yet, do a quick search just to be sure. Someone may have made a pag…
I'm basically skipping the Fathers Saga for now as far as articles and footnotes and such. It's all categorized correctly now. But I'm going to start adding footnotes and everything starting at http://thehiddenalmanac.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_for_2016-07-22 and working back.
Edit: That's one done. Links and footnotes are done for Episode 442Read more >
I added a category for the Fathers Saga episodes. We probably want to tag other storylines as well (Election, etc)
Edit: all of the Father Sagas episodes have been categorized.Read more >
Yeah, it's been a while, but I'm back. I'm going to go through what all you wonderful people have done and fill in blanks. First thing I'm noticing is that we may want to start categorizing episodes by year and month instead of just month, to make things easier to find.
I'm going to start adding articles to the for the newest episodes and work my way back. I figure I should pick up on what people have done that way. Please let me know what I'm screwing up. :)Read more >
Transcriptions: Are updated as the scripts become available.
Feast Days: Has been brought up to date, and all saints have pages.
In the garden: This was a chore, but it's done. In the garden has been updated, but it still needs some organizing which I'll do this weekend.
Also, unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to go through the episodes and de-link plants/animals. Anything listed on In the Garden will get a link to it's wikipedia page, and from In the Garden any readers can see which episodes discussed which topics. I don't think THA needs pages for tomatos or deer when Wikipedia already has those, and once the links are gone it will free up a lot of room in the Wanted Pages list for things that need to be done.Read more >
All episodes have been transcribed, up to April 14 because that script has not been released yet. The transcriptions from December 18 forward need to be compared to the episode reading, to make sure they agree (sometimes wording changes during recording). Also, someone who knows what they're doing should add the info boxes for those episodes. I know how to add the boxes themselves, but I haven't been able to get them to link to the previous/next episodes.
I'm going to start adding saints to the Feast Days calendar, and possibly work on creating pages for saints while I'm at it.Read more >
1. Finish transcribing all remaining episodes (December 14, 2015-through today).
2. Review all episode transcriptions for items that need to be linked (dates, saints, characters, etc).
3. Start tackling the "Wanted Pages" list.
4. Tackle any stub pages that are the result of completing 3.
Each of these tasks will take some time, of course, even if the previous contributors return and help.Read more >
I recently found the Hidden Almanac wiki, and started working on it. I've transcribed a few episodes, and built a couple pages. I'm learning as I go, and hoping some of the more experienced contributors are still around and interested in getting back into this.Read more >
That's it! Let's fill in the red links before moving onto 2014. I'm going to take a break from that and copy blog posts to the forum. I think discussion will be easier there, both to find and to follow.
People can continue to use blog posts to make notes to themselves or whatever, of course.Read more >
Project: Mark stubs with the stub template. Of course then we have to decide how short a stub is, since so many of our articles are short.
Two new templates are available:
- QPlus (Template:Qplus) - meant for attributed comments (my idea is that we would start to build up characters here, like archivists commenting, and this would be used for that). We may have to alter it somewhat if we want to use it in footnotes.
- Cquote (Template:Cquote) - meant for quotes from the Hidden Almanac (see Category:Named_years for an example)
I'm going to finish up the transcriptions for 2013 today if I can. I've been categorizing them as 'needs footnotes' and 'needs articles'
Footnotes should mark anything of interest, anything that references stuff, etc. You can see what've been doing before.
I think we could use more articles than I've been marking - like have one of different animals mentioned, categorized bird, insect, mammal, etc. Probably we need to do something different with In the garden as well, because that's going to get very large. Set up transclusions for that as well, like FiddlingFrog did with the timeline?
I'd like to get more graphics on here too - we could be taking pictures of (real life) animals and plants mentioned from wikipedia or another open-source. (I s…Read more >
Do we want to move discussion, to-dos, etc to the forum instead of making blog posts? Would that be easier to keep track of? I think we should, and I've set up some more forums than the defaults.
The various blog entries we have now should be moved over when we switch.Read more >
It now links to Timeline of the World although the full title was too long to put in.
To make edits, it's the black bar on the bottom, under Admin, then the Top Navigation button.
The old Timeline page has been deleted.
The Recently Changed Pages doesn't seem to be accurate. I don't know if there's a way to fix that or if we should just remove it.Read more >
I've checked the transcripts and added links to all the episodes that had transcripts. So we have a heck of a lot of redlinks, and some links only have a placeholder (St Mellivora of the Sausages is the one I know about).
- There are some categories that need to be added so they show up in the navigation drop down. 'Needs Transcription' is one.
- Several of the episodes are full of redlinks and need articles created. (Possible add a category to note that - like 'needs transcription')
- I don't have to be the only one who adds footnotes.
- Please check the other blogposts that were asking for opinions and weigh in / do whatever needs doing.
- Do we want to organize the blogposts / add categories to them to make it easier to find what needs to be…Read more >
Just to keep my own system straight in my head, here's how I foresee using they dating system I'm working with.
- If an event has both a specific day ("On this day" or "today") and a specific year (1938 or "x years ago today") then place that event on the year page. Use a third-level heading to mark the month and create a list item for the event, day of the month linking to the particular episode. ex: 1938
- If an event has a specific year but no day, place that event on the year page. Use Unknown date to link the item to the episode. ex: 1974
- If an event has a specific date but no year, place that event on Events of uncertain date page. Use a third-level heading for the month. ex: Many of the exploits of Eland the Younger.
- If an event can only be p…
Don't add links in the summary of the episode, because they'd be duplicated in the transcription. Footnotes are fine if you're marking something that conflicts with the podcast.Read more >
FiddlingFrog has been separating out the timeline by year. I'm not sure that's really necessary and I think it will make getting an overview of events more difficult. So far there's not nearly enough events to become overwhelming.
If we decide we do want to separate them, the pages need to be linked from the timeline and probably added to the another category (either history or make timeline a category). If we were to separate them, I think by year is way too fine. I'd go by century or decade. But I don't thinking separating them is necessary at this point.
- SilvercatRead more >
I spoke to Ursula and Kevin at BayCon this past weekend, and Silvercat17 and I now have access to the written scripts for most aired episodes. Hopefully this should allow us to get the text of the episodes up in a reasonable amount of effort, instead of the daunting task of listening and transcribing. Though there's a lot of backlog!
For other contributors, don't feel obliged to do transcription, maybe jump in somewhere else! Making stubs for episodes we haven't copied in is useful, cuts down the steps a bit, particularly if you can get the episode summary from hidden almanac.com and/or the infobox filled in. And of course, there's the fun stuff of fleshing out the non-episode articles!
This also prompted me to think it no longer really made…Read more >
Okay, I've edited all the non-episode pages to be consistent. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.Read more >
So the order for headers on a non-episode page should be Biography / Information / (whatever), then Mentions, then any Out of Character information.Read more >
Added a template for:
- the Red Wombat sponsorship ( The Hidden Almanac is brought to you by Red Wombat Tea Company, purveyors of fine and inaccessible teas. Red Wombat — "We Dig Tea." ) Call it up with Red Wombat in curly brackets.
- the Out of Character Production info (see below). Call it up with OOC Production
- the mantra / catchphrase ( Be Safe, and Stay Out of Trouble. ). Call it up with Mantra
OOC Production example:
Out of Character
The Hidden Almanac is a production of Dark Canvas Media, written by Ursula Vernon and performed and produced by Kevin Sonney. Our theme music is Moon Valley and our exit music is Red in Black, both by Kosta T. You can hear more from Kosta T at the Free Music Archive. All other content is copyright 2013, Ursula Ve…
Read more >
Firstly - I've been saying 'appearances' for when things are mentioned. I'm thinking of changing it to 'mentions', but I'm not sure that's the right word either? Maybe 'references'? I don't know. I'm not happy about 'information' either, but I don't know what to call it when it's not a biography. 'Description', maybe? I think I'll switch to description. At some point, we'll (I'll) have to go back and change it on all the pages.
Secondly - should the out of character stuff be on separate pages so we can maintain the illusion? So far, I think it's only on Eland the Younger and Red Wombat Tea Company. For example, have a footnote that just says 'see also' and link to something like 'ooc:Red Wombat Tea Company'?
Thirdly - I was thinking of addin…Read more >
Watch tubers - http://gearworld.livejournal.com/7520.htmlRead more >
In the garden
Saints' Feast Days
New categories have to be added to the categories category, so they'll show up on the navigation drop down. (I'm not leaving them uncategorized because there's a bunch of categories wikia uses that don't need to show) (Category no longer looks like a word)Read more >
The first episode is completely done. I'm still not sure what I'm doing.
- customize appearance to match the official page.
- need more information about the actual Red Wombat Tea.
- Add twitters for Reverend Mord, Ursula Vernon, Kevin Sonney
For in the garden, we might want a way to mark what is fictional and what is real. I think most of it is pretty obvious.
Any saints (or other things) that are based on Ursula Vernon's artwork should be linked to her deviantart page.
I'd like to include a link to her posts on starting it up. I'll have to find those.
Possibly have a section for Ursula or Kevin to make their own comments, if they want?Read more >